Protect Your Children From Divorce-Related Stress in Barrington, Illinois
At the law firm of Joseph M. Lucas & Associates, most of our clients are willing to do everything possible to protect their children from the confusion, anxiety, guilt and other problems they sometimes experience as an unintended consequence of their parents' divorce. Even our clients who haven't thoroughly considered these hazards are quick to appreciate their importance as they come to realize how their children can be affected, and start to notice problems at home.
To learn how you can help protect your children from as much stress as possible in your divorce, contact one of our attorneys for a consultation at our office in Barrington. We have more than 25 years of experience helping families through divorce in the northern suburbs of Chicago, and we can help your family as well.
Call 866-936-5310 for advice about protecting your children in Algonquin
Here are a few points to keep in mind about the vulnerability of your children to divorce-related stress. Not only can they lessen the impact for your kids, they can also help you avoid legal problems with your spouse or the family court judge:
- Don't tell your child bad things about the other parent, regardless of who has primarycustody.
- Take care not to use your child as a go-between with your spouse.
- Make sure your children aren't assuming responsibility or blame for your marital problems.
- Do everything possible to promote a stable and substantial relationship between your child and the other parent.
- Remember - you're the parent. Don't allow your kids to take care of you.
- Get help right away for any drug or alcohol problems.
- Promote stability in your child's life. Letting them keep the same school, social networks, and activities can help them through the traumatic experience of their parents' divorce.
- Pay your child support on time and keep your visitation appointments faithfully if you are the noncustodial parent.
- If you're not receiving child support, keep this information away from your children.
- Most important of all: find every opportunity to let your children know how much you love them.
Our lawyers are always glad to discuss useful strategies for protecting your children with our clients. For more information about the ways you can reduce the stress of divorce for your kids, contact Joseph M. Lucas & Associates in Barrington.